Saturday, December 25, 2010

Forex card- Is it worth it

Whole travelling to the US i use the HDFC forex card. It is the preffered means of carrying foreign exchange by my company also.



However , I am not happy with the product and when i compare it with American express travellers cheques. Here are my views


Pros
  • This is like a credit card, small enough to keep in your pocket
  • HDFC Bank is quite prompt in getting these to you
  • One can easily return the card and the money is put back into your account quite promptly
  • One can withdraw the money when ever required from any VISA ATM
Cons
  • This is not like a credit card. There is a cost of $2.5 for every transaction made- NO MATTER what the amount you with draw.
  • The charges above are also not constant- I tried taking out money from one bank- and they charged me 5$!! it was pure cheating.
  • Some ATMs have a limit to the amount you can withdraw. So , if you want to take out say 600$, the ATM may allow you to take out only 500$ at one time and hence you now need to pay twice the withdrawal charges.

To me, the cons of taking out money- really pinch me. I mean, its my money- and they are charging me to take it out ( of course things like this is all common in the US- there is no free lunch)

I would prefer to use travellers cheques or carry cash!

Comments welcome
( Dont forget to subscribe using the links on the right)

1 comment:

  1. I was looking at this blog with good information and guidance to become successful forex trader and to get the best from the forex market. Its helps currency exchange companies and valutahandel users.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner