Thursday, May 13, 2021

Back from the brink

The last 12 days have been extremely tough for me with the entire family being down with covid.

Started with my wife who suddenly fell sick and all of the work came on my shoulders. With two young children my world came crashing down.

Soon they also fell sick and with me being in tow.

While my family recovered quickly, it took a toll on me and at certain points of time I thought I was a gonner. Concerns around how my family will survive after me became my biggest worry. I was planning for the worst.

There were a couple of things I had done which helped me be calm in such a situation... Things which I hope you ensure you also create.

1. List of all passwords and accounts.
I use an encrypted password protected sheet which I force my wife to remember where it is saved and kept.  This I keep updated every once a few weeks... Which meant that that these were 99% updated.


2. Summary of assets and liabilities
What I ensure is that I keep a quick summary guide on investments in all of our names and these are available for them at arms length.

3. Nominations 
Had ensured that nominations are always there with every asset... This would help in case of death

4. No will
This is a gap that needs to be set in place. While I had tried it before... Did not take it to completion. Now it is urgent and critical

5. Health insurance
Always on my phone these details are a must.  Keep your insurance updated. The people in the US are much better at this... So should we be. 

Be safe... Be prepared... One never knows when it is required 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner