Sunday, July 18, 2021

Dividend income thoughts

I follow a few of the personal finance stalwarts on twitter and one of them is d muthu.

He propogates a lot on dividend income. He has bought multiple shares of companies who provide some good dividend income.. Like ITC, UBL etc. He does say that with his dividend income he is able to satisfy his monthly expenses quite a bit. He is not working anymore so continues to invest and potentially mostly in dividend playing scrips.

He is of course very well respected as I can see in the twitter feeds. Someone that would be good to follow if you are on twitter.

For me, I have been thinking a lot about this strategy and had invested similarly in two companies with a great dividend playing opportunity.. Namely ITC and IOC.

I have invested in these and while I get some returns.. Around 8% in IOC and around 5% in ITC, I do see that these scrips haven't grown at all in quite some years.

IOC have been holding for over 2 yrs now and my capital appreciation is all of 14000 Rs... Quite minimal.
I do believe that the share had opportunity to grow as it fell from all the way from 150 Rs to 80 Rs when the government asked it to subsidize Rs 1 per liter around 3 yrs back (IT was when Arun Jaitley was the finance minister).

Do in about 2 yrs I have maybe gotten around 23k in this scrip... Quite a measly amount with all the changes.

I am wondering what other people think about the dividend strategy? Vs the growth investment scrips.

Do let me know


No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner